Monday, October 02, 2006

A Bloody Disgrace

Why is it that gay men are prohibited from donating blood in Britain?

The blood service, on their website, asks all the questions I would expect about your health; they ask if you have, or have cause to believe you might have, hepatitis, HIV or CJD and a number of other obviously health-related questions. Then they ask you if you are a man who has ever had sex or a blowjob with another man. If you answer ‘no’ you go on to the next question. If you answer ‘yes’ you are told you are unsuitable to give blood.

That sounds to me like pretty blatant discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation. The subtext is: “It doesn’t matter how healthy you are; if you are gay we don’t want you.”

That pisses me off in a BIG way.

I sent in a question about this through their contact form this morning but so far haven’t had any reply. If I get anything I’ll let you know what they say. In the meantime why not ask them yourself here.

No comments: