Friday, January 15, 2010

New Faces

Wednesday was another snow day; it came down suddenly over Tuesday night and by the morning, trains were few and far-between – and not even the station staff knew if or when.  I worked from home. Got stuff done but was getting cabin fever by the end of the day.

The piano lesson that evening was a bit of a pro-forma as I hadn’t done any practice since the last one.  It’s frustrating but I have no-one to blame but myself; for all that I really want to get good at this, I still can’t seem to drag myself off the sofa of an evening to put in a few minutes practice at the keyboard.  It’s amazing (and sad) how many of my aspirations get lost to laziness and lack of willpower.

Over the years I’ve developed a way of forcing myself into doing things that I want to do; usually it involves making an appointment with someone, as it’s much harder to let someone else down than it is to procrastinate on my own.  (Bizarre, eh, that I have to force myself to do the things I want to do?  Could do with some psychoanalysis on that one!)

In this vein, I am considering spending a large amount of money on working with a personal trainer twice a week when I really probably shouldn’t.  I want to get fit.  My doctor keeps nagging me about my weight and last year I did the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge (a 5km run) and it left me virtually immobile for days.  I want to be able to run 5km.  I want to be able to climb the stairs to Waterloo East without getting out of breath, or be able to carry my loaded bike up to the flat without it being an effort.

And I want to be able to play the piano at least passably well.

As I’m writing this I find myself wondering what advice I’d give to someone who brought me a problem like this and, looking at it like that, it’s quite simple; it’s Facebook and TV that keep me on the sofa.  I need to cut down on both.  It may not be the whole solution, but at least it’s a start.  There you go; a new-year resolution of sorts – even thought I’m generally sceptical of the concept.  Let’s see how far I can get with it.

The rest of the week seemed to be filled with meeting account managers from our suppliers.  Due to a couple of recent mergers and acquisitions we have new contacts in several of them and they were dropping by to introduce themselves and/or give me the spiel on the new organisation.  One of them was rather handsome and in very good shape; I shall look forward to those account review meetings in future!

No comments: