Saturday, March 26, 2005

Day Trips

We are up early today because we have a full-day tour booked and need to get into breakfast when it opens at 8am. Yesterday, nothing happened: We got up, ate, sat on the balcony and read, ate, sat on the sofa and read, ate, sat in the chair and read and then went to bed again. I am now finished my series of books and gnashing my teeth because the next in the series isn’t published until later this year, so I’ve taken to re-reading the series that Brett has brought along.

Thursday was a somewhat more interesting day, though. We lazed in the morning, but had booked ourselves on the ‘Crazy Camels’ tour in the afternoon. The camels were, alas, anything but crazy but it was interesting to see them close up (for some reason I always imagined them having some variation of hooves, but it turns out they walk on fleshy pads) and we had some fun. I’d rather hoped that we would see the desert dunes of Maspalomas as part of our trek. In the end though, all the tour amounted to was a ride up and down a nearby canyon; two to a camel, in metal seats slung either side of the camel. Not quite Lawrence of Arabia, but I suppose no less than I should have expected from a high-street package tour.

So anyway, today we have a full-day tour booked. It’s billed as the ‘VIP Tour’ but I think that just means we go in a minibus with a guide rather than a coach. Still I’m hoping there are going to be some good photo opportunities along the way.

No comments: