Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Dull Blog

I fear this blog could be a little dull(er) this week. The plan is mostly to sit by the pool and read. There is talk of really striking out and walking down to Taurito Centro (the bottom of the hill) to check out the beach and the lido, but I’m not sure how much will come of it.

We had a very pleasant Mediterranean dinner in the restaurant last night, washed down with a fine red Rioja. The food is good for a buffet presentation – having worked in the industry I know how hard it is to do this successfully: keeping the menu sufficiently varied for all the guests, and hot (or cold) but not over- or under-done, not soggy, not dried-out, not full of streptococci. So anyway, I think they’re doing a good job here.

The bar didn’t prove quite so impressive however. They have a cocktail menu so I ordered a daiquiri and Brett a margharita before dinner, but I ended up having to show the waiter the menu to convince him that I could have it without banana or strawberry and both of the drinks were pretty bland when they arrived. The bar does have a lovely balcony overlooking the beach though, so we intend to go along a bit earlier tonight to watch the sun set before dinner.

We had our obligatory ‘Welcome Meeting’ with the holiday reps today and have signed up for a couple of tours later in the week; a half-day camel riding on Thursday and then a minibus tour around some of the more spectacular and out-of-the-way sights of the island, including its peak Las Nieves.

Apart from that we just spent the day lazing and reading, mostly by the pool: Brett is sunning himself while I’m staying in the shade (I am not a big fan of sunshine and tanning,) both of us reading our books.

There are a couple of three-masted yachts out on the bay.

No comments: