Thursday, March 17, 2005

More Exams and Antiques

Well, the exam went extremely well. I scored 896 out of a possible 1000, which is quite respectable. It means that my MCSE is now upgraded to the latest version and, more importantly, I can go on holiday without having to worry about re-sitting anything.

After a brief stop at the office to deliver (and eat) some celebratory/birthday cakes and pick up an Amazon package containing a present from my sister, I went and had a coffee on High Holborn before meeting up with Owen for a burger before the show. Brett, hot off the plane from Sweden, arrived shortly thereafter (wearing a tie!) and we toddled off to the Theatre Royal in Haymarket to meet the others and pick up our tickets for Acorn Antiques – The Musical.

The show was a little bit strange. The first half was pretty dreadful actually – a play within a play about some modernist producer wanting to revive the popular show but give a dark, edgy, fatalistic feel. The best bit was where it parodied Les Miserables by (amongst others take-offs) the set tilting to form a barricade out of antiques.

The second half was more enjoyable, after Mrs Overall had won the lottery and put on a ‘proper’ Acorn Antiques – The Musical in the West End. This was more of an extended version of the TV sketches done with musical interludes and was pleasantly entertaining – and included a bit of a homage to Chorus Line too. Not something I would rush back to see though.

As the bows were being taken, Brett turned to me and said, ‘You British are a strange lot!’ and, for once, I didn’t feel inclined to disagree. On the way out I decided that I must really fall into the camp that ‘doesn’t get it.’ Several of our companions were raving about how fantastic it had been. Compared to them, I felt distinctly underwhelmed.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day. More importantly tomorrow is my birthday. Wehay!!

No comments: