Thursday, March 10, 2005

Eating Out

Think I got something dodgy in my tuna niçoise sandwich yesterday as I spent the afternoon and evening feeling pretty rotten. Been a bit iffy today, but seem to have recovered pretty much now.

Today was mundane at work; however I ended up eating out for two meals out of three. Rowan was down for her second interview and she got the job. She was thrilled and we went out for lunch with Bruce to celebrate. This evening I met up with Rob Smith, my erstwhile colleague at my previous employer. Whenever he is up in London on a course we try to meet up for drinks and dinner to catch up – although usually most of the catching up is him regaling me with stories of the latest bizarreness at work while I sit there with my jaw hanging, absolutely speechless.

There is usually some comparing of technologies and strategies in the way that tech-geeks often do, but I rarely have any stories to match the short-sightedness that he seems to have to put up with on a daily basis. I am glad I am no longer a part of that. I somewhat smugly showed him the Sunday Times award we received for being voted one of the best companies to work for in the country. (They publish a list every year and this year we entered and came in the top twenty! We now have a nice little marble trophy on our reception desk to prove it.) Despite all the silliness though, do miss a number of the people I used to work with: I don’t keep up enough with Emma, even though we are still in touch, and I never managed to keep up with Paul, the networking guy, or Ben from Operations.

I’m also missing Brett right now. He called me last night before he went to bed, but I haven’t called him tonight and now it’s too late to. Still, I suppose this time tomorrow he’ll be back.

No comments: