Friday, September 23, 2005

Sitges - Final Thoughts

I spent a final half-hour in the hot tub with John and Rich which was wonderfully relaxing. A couple of times I almost drifted off to sleep with the sound of the bubbling and the sunlight flashing on the water; very therapeutic.

I have enjoyed the week in Sitges and could probably have easily spent a second week here – although I might have done a bit more exploring out of town in a second week. John, Rich and Jeremy have been great holiday companions with no great pressure on anyone to do anything. I think I can appear to be quite anti-social when I am in full-on relaxing mode; just staring off into space and not feeling the need to make conversation, but no-one seems to have minded and I haven’t felt any awkward silences developing.

Sitges itself is lovely; it is a very friendly, relaxed town. I was a little bit nervous about coming to a renowned ‘gay resort’ thinking it would be lots of teenage twinks, flamboyant queens and bars playing S-Club Seven and having Barbara Streisand and Shirley Bassey Karaoke nights. In fact the town just gets on with it. It isn’t bedecked with Pride flags (in fact I think I’ve seen more bear flags than pride flags around town!) it’s just a regular holiday resort where there are lots of gay-friendly establishments. In fact it feels more comfortable walking along the prom here, holding Brett’s hand than it does back in London. Even in Soho you feel you are making a bit of a statement. Here no-one cares. Definitely somewhere I could come back to.

Rich was chatting to another couple by the pool this afternoon and discovered that there is more to the fiesta going on this evening between 7:30 and 8:30, so we are going to head into town early to see what there is to see and then meet the guys for dinner afterwards.

No comments: