Monday, January 17, 2005

Jackass, Verizon!

So yesterday was good. We didn’t do much. We had brunch round at Pings with about eight other guys. Didn’t get home until five-ish. Ordered pizza and watched TV.

Today was back to work, which went well, then Chorus which was also mundane. Nothing much to report there.

Only one news item caught my eye today. It was a follow-up to an article I’d laughed at last week, but expected to be a flash-in-the-pan. Someone was bound to realise what a jackass they were being and fix it. But, no! An American ISP, Verizon, is blocking all email (yes, ALL email) which originates from European network addresses because so much spam comes from Europe. The sheer chutzpah of that position leaves me speechless. The USA is without doubt, the single biggest source of spam to the rest of the world. I read an opinion piece once about the increasing grip that Corporate America has on the (theoretically) global network that is the Internet. I find I’m beginning to agree!

It’s a good job it’s so late and I have to get to bed: I really feel a rant coming on!

No comments: