Saturday, January 08, 2005

Who was Hephaestion?

No blog for yesterday. Work was busy enough that I didn’t have time to scan the news feeds but not interesting enough to talk about. The evening was spent writing Chorus emails.

Today was not so dissimilar: A bit of housework in between more Chorus stuff. I’m negotiating the approval of election procedures. We’re thinking of selling off some of our excess furniture and bits and pieces so I spent some time setting up accounts on eBay and PayPal. It looks like a good way to get rid of stuff, but not to make a profit on unless you want to work at it. Came across the very neat site Wikipedia which is an online encyclopedia - hence all of the links to references in this blog.

After lunch in the village we sat down and watched a documentary on Alexander the Great. I saw it advertised and thought it would be a good way to brush up the history before going to watch the movie. I’d read a few reviews which seemed more concerned about him being portrayed as bisexual than having any problem with the movie. I know the Ancient Greeks didn’t really define sexuality in the way we do: Sex was okay with whoever you liked. I was surprised that National Geographic was so direct about him having a male partner though.

I called my parents this evening. It’s been a day of ups and downs for them. Tonight is the night of my mum’s big retirement party. All of her friends are coming and she’s looking forward to catching up with everyone. One couple can’t get down to the party though. They are based in Carlisle (where a couple of my dad’s family live) and the town was flooded by some heavy storms last night. A couple of lorries have been blown over on the M6 so traffic is virtually at a standstill.

Brett and I hadn’t planned to attend as we’d been up to the family dinner in November. Tonight we went to watch Garden State which was pleasant enough.

No comments: