Saturday, January 29, 2005

Quick Update

I’ve been a very bad blogger over the last couple of days. Life in the 3D world has somewhat overtaken my opportunities to sit down and write.

Wednesday was a good day, albeit long. I was visiting our company’s Leeds office to install a new server and move clients over to using it. It all went very smoothly, so I had plenty of time to deal with the inevitable ‘While you’re here…’ support issues, which people seem to save up for the appearance of a tech. On the train I actually got to sit down and thoroughly read a newspaper – something I have done in quite some time.

I got back late but still made a detour via the office on the way home to pick up my newly delivered iRiver iFP899. An MP3 player with no moving parts (so it’s fairly reliable and doesn’t skip) which also includes a radio. So far I like it a lot.

Thursday and today I’ve spent most of my working hours evaluating Microsoft’s System Management Server (which is a big bit of software for centrally controlling lots of computer systems around the world.) The theory is that we can install this system and have much better control over all of the company’s computers. In practice (so far at least) the system isn’t very intuitive. I’m struggling along a steep learning-curve using Microsoft’s own documentation (which is heavy on volume but light on useful content) and am wondering if I should be clicking on to Amazon and searching for SMS For Dummies. I’ll see how it goes on Monday.

Last night we were out at the Theatre seeing a Tom Lehrer review by Kit and The Widow and one of the women from Fascinating Aida. Excellent show – I like the performers and I like the material.

Friday night was spent at home wishing we didn’t have to get up early this morning to go record some Christmas Carols.

Tonight is the belated Chorus Christmas Party, which I recall being good fun last year. There are a couple of cabaret acts provided by members of the Chorus and the annual Chorus Awards with categories such as ‘Cutest Couple’ and ‘Most Fanciable Member’ but also ‘Worst Fashion Sense’ and ‘Most Likely Not To Know The Words.’ So that should be fun – although half of me would rather stay at home tonight. Hopefully a day of singing will brighten my outlook a little.

Brett is also trying to put together a piece for his audition for our main summer production. (Yes, there are two sets of auditions going on at the moment.)

No comments: