Friday, July 22, 2005

It's Show Time!

Such a blast.

There wasn’t a part of the show I didn’t enjoy.

A few minor hiccups, only one of which was clearly noticeable: Somehow the Chorus got ahead of the backing track for ‘YMCA’ so there was a bit of a car crash as we tried to synchronise again. Fortunately we were saved by the dance break! Poor Russell E confused a couple of lines of his solo (after performing it immaculately the last n times) but he didn’t seem at all fazed by it. Apparently the computer running the projector which provides scenery and links for the numbers (on a tennis-court sized screen behind us) popped up a virus alert during one number too…

None of which spoiled the night at all. I have never felt more confident of my performance in a show and never enjoyed a show more. It was great. We totally rocked! (Although both Owen and my sister made fun of my inept dancing during ‘I Just Wanna Dance.’)

In the bar afterwards, as we all schmoozed our adoring audience, there seemed to be some serious talk about taking the show on tour to other parts of the UK and I would be seriously up for that. The theme of the show is very affirming for the gay community, so it should play well in some of the less cosmopolitan areas of the UK, where gay men are still very limited in how open they can be. I would love for the idea to come through, although I fear we may have problems with the rights to perform some of the songs; several of them were done under ‘special’ permission agreements which limit our use of them to this particular run. We’ll see.

The best part of the night was actually when a work colleague congratulated me on the show. Tom C from work had come along (I suspect) mainly as quid pro quo for Brett and I going to see him sing in a classical performance a few months back. I wasn’t even sure that he would actually show up and, given the subject matter and how explicit the show is in places, I wasn’t sure how he would feel about the show as a straight guy who is new to the Chorus’ style. I am so glad he liked it because I think it will help break into the straight audience at work – many of whom (again, I suspect) imagine the LGMC is going to be a bit of a creaky community choir all holding hands and singing ‘We Shall Not Be Moved.’ I suppose the repertoire really is along those lines but, boy, do we do it professionally! It’s both entertaining and moving for the audience and they love it.

More good news: the ticket sales have taken off too. Yesterday I think we were told we had about a 60% house for tonight but by the time the music started we were at nearly 90% - over 800 seats of a 900-seat house were filled. Hopefully a similar on-the-door rush, plus word of mouth from tonight’s show, will fill the house tomorrow and Sunday!

On the Tube home, I got a text message from Chris C (in St. Helens) asking how the show had gone. I hadn’t even realised he knew the show was on, but apparently he reads my blog! (Hello, Chris! Leave the kids with your mum and get yourself and Mrs C. on a train on Sunday to come see the show!! It’s a matinee, so you can get down, enjoy the show and still be home in time for supper!)

I can’t wait for tomorrow!

No comments: