Thursday, June 29, 2006

Windows Mobile 5.0: R.I.P.

Well, I gave up on the Windows Mobile 5.0 device in the end; it was just more hassle than it was worth. Getting it to use the right network for Internet was a real fuss and, although I didn’t need ActiveSync to get it synchronised with my Outlook mailbox, I did need it to synch up some of the other apps I wanted to use. The most irritating was the Pocket PC version of MS Money, which I use to manage my finances. I had a pocket version from Ultrasoft on my Palm when I was using that and it all worked seamlessly. Microsoft make their own version for Mobile Windows yet, try as I might, I couldn’t get it to talk to my desktop version; ActiveSync would just hang every time. I uninstalled and reinstalled. I searched for settings to tweak. All to no avail.

So it went back in it’s box on Tuesday and I’m back to using my Nokia.

The experience did serve to remind me though that I like a fully functional PDA, rather than just a feature-laden phone, so I am now living in anticipation of Sony Ericsson releasing their P990i which has received good reviews from pretty much everyone I’ve read.

No comments: