Friday, October 28, 2005

Confinement

Being sick is boring. Yesterday I got out of bed, went to the bathroom and couldn’t muster the willpower to get in the shower. I went back to bed and slept for another four hours. Somehow, I’m suffering with the same symptoms as last time and about six months ago; nausea, severe fatigue, headache, dry mouth, temperature sensitivity. I went to see the doctor today and while she thought it was odd, she didn’t have an immediate solution. I’ve got some migraine pills and instructions to take one if the problem reoccurs as the first option elimination. I also have to go back next week for more checks.

The practical upshot of all this is that as well as whatever else I’ve got, I’ve got cabin fever; two days stuck in the house and I’m going slightly crazy. (I should point out at this point, I don’t mean really crazy! Chris C rang me up this evening and, whilst organising his trip to London next week, expressed some concern that I’d been blogging about being depressed and then gotten on to the subject of religion, so let me reassure you that my marbles are all accounted for and I’m not about to run off to the Moonies!)

So anyway, I got to do more surfing than usual in between long periods of sleeping and watching TV and I found some knowledge quizzes on the BBC news site. I think they are based on the current National Curriculum but I gave them a go anyway and, apart from History (where I only got a disappointing 7/12) I think I did okay.

See how you do. You can test yourself on:

History – I got 7/12 right, so surely you can beat that.

Physics – 8/10 right, when I actually thought I would do better.

Maths – 19/20, which I was quite happy with.

English – 20/20, read it and weep!

French – 7/12, which I thought wasn’t bad since I haven’t practiced in twenty years.

Geography – 11/14, was respectable enough, I thought. A UK-biased test though.

This evening we ventured out for a walk down to the cinema. We went to see Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. It was very entertaining and I enjoyed it, although by halfway through I just wanted to lie-down again. And that’s what I think I’m going to do now.

2 comments:

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John said...

These tests are fun! You beat me on Physics: I got History 10/12, French 11/12 (and I'm supposed to have a degree in this), English 20/20, Maths 19/20, Physics 7/10 and Geography 12/14.