Saturday, October 01, 2005

God Save The Queen

Strangely HMQ featured in my life twice in rapid succession today. Firstly, I was reading The Times over lunch, which reported that an American news show will be presented next week from, amongst other regal locations, the Throne Room in Buckingham Palace, in an attempt to attract timid Americans tourists back to these shores with a bit of pomp and history. I can’t decide whether I think that’s a good idea, as the Monarchy is certainly one of the main tourist attractions in the UK, or whether it’s further catering to the lowest common denominator and turning our Head of State into a franchised brand. A sign of the Monarchy moving with the times? Hmm… I think I am just an old traditionalist at heart.

The second occurrence was rather less salubrious but no less surprising. When I had finished the paper I went to the toilet and, there above the urinal, the only piece of graffiti on the entire white-tiled wall read, ‘God Save the Queen.’ It was the only thing written there, so I couldn’t be sure whether it was a serious bit of devout patriotism or whether it was intended to be ironic or in the Sex Pistols vein. Even in the days of Cool Britannia patriotism was tacit and, in these ‘New Millennium’ days, I wouldn’t expect there to be many vocal patriots frequenting the gents’ toilets in the Burger King on Tottenham Court Road. If it was meant ironically I would have expected something more nihilistic to have been added alongside. I guess I will never know.

Anyway, we were in town because I needed to meet up with Simon S, the Chorus accompanist, to return some CDs he needs to do an arrangement, but while we were there we wanted to do some shopping as Brett needs to update his work wardrobe.

Today Oxford Street was closed to traffic for the first time ever, to try to encourage people back after the bombings in July. Personally I think pedestrianising Oxford Street is a great idea – the pavements are typically too crowded for comfort – but today was in fact a nightmare for people who actually wanted to shop; the party really got in the way. As we wandered westwards from Tottenham Court Road you kept coming across men on stilts, small music groups and people giving you leaflets about the event – all of which slowed you down. Erecting a couple of big stages in the middle of the road didn’t help either. After buying his suit, Brett and I stopped to listen to one of the acts; an arts school, doing a (long!) medley of showtunes. However several hundred other people also stopped to listen and Oxford Street was totally blocked and looked like becoming dangerously crowded until the police started turning people away at either side of the stage. So, on the whole, a good idea badly thought through.

Tonight we’re off to see A Chorus Line being performed by an amateur company at the local Putney Arts Theatre. Apparently Jonathan P, one of our new choristers and one of the dancers from You’ll Do For Now, is amongst the cast. Rosie is coming too so that should be fun as I know she has been busy at work lately.

No comments: