Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Commander In Chief

On the subject of the US Presidency, I’ve been watching the new TV series called Commander In Chief, which follows the fortunes of a fictional first female President. Apparently it was this year’s big hit in the States and somewhere in one of the blogs I've read recently they were decrying it as Hollywood blatantly warming up the public for Hilary Clinton to run for President next time around.

Well, to be honest, I think Hollywood could do a better job if they really wanted to campaign like this. The show is very formulaic, not at all challenging and has thoroughly one-dimensional characters (Donald Sutherland must really need the money; his character [the arch-nemesis of ‘our heroine’] is so irredeemably wicked and self-serving he could quite happily be the Evil Vizier out of Pantomime!) The West Wing it certainly isn’t! Unless the series pulls its socks up fairly soon, I’m not sure I’ll even make it through the first season, let alone watch out for a second.

As far as propaganda goes, it’s actually putting me off the idea of a female president. Probably a good job for ‘the Hollywood agenda’ that I can’t vote!

No comments: