Monday, November 28, 2005

Love And Joy Come To You

Today started well; I was up and sorted in good time and I got to work on time. Then it was all downhill from there. The server in our main branch office was not responding so no-one there could do any work. That took us an hour or so to sort out, but at least it turned out not to be the total disaster it had looked at first.

By then, an external training consultant had been hanging around waiting for us for most of the hour, so we spent the rest of the day trying to catch up. (He was training us on supporting the new Management Information System the company is implementing. We’ve already found one glaring security hole in their recommended implementation so I think we’ll be going over it with a fine-tooth comb before we put live data in there!)

The training day was otherwise dull, although I came away with an armful of branded goodies. I’m keeping the key-ring and luggage tag, but if anyone wants a cheap mouse-mat or a pen, let me know…

The other downside was that it finished late, so I was rushing to get to Chorus. In the end it didn’t matter though, as I was in good time to both eat and make the venue. Tonight we were rehearsing In Terra Pax with our (imported) Baritone Soloist for the first time. (It went fairly well.) Then it was staging; basically getting us into our line-up for the stage and planning the entrances, exits and movement between pieces. For the first time with the Chorus, I am on the front row. Great for the ego, but bad for the karma; I have to be really strong on both my words and the choreography and right now, I’m not.

The Christmas CD that we recorded at the start of the year had finally arrived tonight, so everyone was snapping them up for stocking-fillers. Richard B had it on in the car on the way home and it was quite good – although definitely not background music for your Christmas dinner! I fear I’m going to bore my team to death with it tomorrow…

No comments: