Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Eve Is Going To Suck!

After weeks of nothing much happening, the last two days seem to have been 'karma catchup' at work. Yesterday we had problems with a host server flagging a problem with one of its memory modules. We had to shut down a couple of key virtual servers to check and re-seat the unit. Then today a database became corrupt on one of our mail servers, taking out about 10% of the company’s mailboxes for the afternoon and evening while we recovered it. Tonight I got a call on my way home from someone trying to submit a project bid overseas via FTP. Turns out the client couldn’t connect to our server, initially because of a problem with our firewall (I need to discuss that with Gavin!) and later for no reason that I could see – although when I discovered he was using a Windows Vista client I pretty much despaired of getting it resolved. Luckily they managed to push the key documents onto a different FTP server with barely seconds to spare before the submission deadline. I’m going to have to do some investigating tomorrow I think. Bah! Between that and a possibly still corrupt mail database, I suspect Christmas Eve is going to suck!

That said, I plan to take in some mince pies and mulled wine for the team tomorrow: Give everyone a slightly warm fuzzy send-off into the holidays!

No comments: