Sunday, May 15, 2005

It's a Small, Small World

It is a small world. For all that there are millions of people on this small island of ours, you just keep running into familiar faces.

This weekend (for example), Brett and I were in town and decided to grab a coffee after lunch. While Brett waited on the order, I went to find us a seat and who should I end up sitting down opposite, but one of my former Saga colleagues. More here.

Then yesterday evening I received a message through OutEverywhere, a gay online service I use. The message was from a colleague who I have worked with on a couple of projects and never realised was gay. In subsequent messaging I’ve discovered he’s quite a sci-fi buff too.

It was actually kind of a shock finding out he’s gay – but then my gaydar always has been pretty crap – and reading the online profile of someone you know through work felt just a little bit creepy. Still, he seems fairly sorted with the whole gay thing, so I expect all will be well. I should invite him out for lunch and we can exchange ‘coming out at the office’ stories!

No comments: