Saturday, May 28, 2005

Summertime...

So summer is finally here - just in time for a Bank Holiday weekend. Out of the blue (to coin a phrase) the temperature topped 31°C (88°F) on Friday. The office was quiet as people were obviously either extending their weekend or just working from home. My day was entirely spent in Adelaide though, as our Australian office were having problems getting email through to the rest of the company. Bah!

Last night we, along with 5.8million other Brits, watched the first show of Big Brother 2005. While I haven’t been a constant fan of the shows to date, I think Big Brother, along with Survivor, are fairly decent as the genre goes. Everything else feels like a low-budget derivative. I can only wait and see whether the goings on in the house rivet me, or bore me. Check back in a fortnight to see if I’m still watching!

Today has been fairly quiet and domestic. Brett went to pick up his comics; I went down to the supermarket to top up the cupboards. Then we both came home and napped.

I had the car cleaned while I was shopping (and they did a good job for £10, inside and out!) but I was left wondering at the slightly casual attitude the crew took to taking car keys. You didn’t have to leave a name or anything to associate yourself to your car. In theory I could have walked up and said, “Oh yes, the Porsche is mine!” (had there been a Porsche in amongst the family runabouts) and driven off. Well okay, the deception probably wouldn’t have taken long to uncover, but it would probably be good long enough to go rob a bank or joy-ride somebody’s car into a ditch.

Just surfing the web this afternoon, I came across a couple of interesting sites. The first of them is a news article about Voyager 1 being on the verge of deep space. I just find it awe-inspiring. We are so caught up in Science Fiction these days. We take convenient interstellar travel for granted because of the likes of Star Trek and Star Wars, but in fact we have never yet sent a vehicle outside our own Solar system.

Until now.

I think everyone should at least pause a while to consider this moment in history.

The second link for you is in a (somewhat) lighter vein. If you have a secret that you can’t possibly tell to anyone, then why not design a postcard with it on and send it off to these people!? Some funny, some moving, some sad. I've extracted some of the ones I like best into my photoblog.

Right off to Forest Hill to make the most of the weather at a barbeque at Rod & Jess' place!

No comments: