Thursday, May 26, 2005

Restaurants, Restaurants everywhere, but not a place to eat!

My task for tonight was to get a dinner organised for Brett’s birthday next week. It’s not a surprise or anything especially unusual. We discussed the guest list last weekend, I made preliminary invites at the rehearsal on Sunday (yes, I’m afraid all of the attendees are fellow choirboys and a few partners thereof) but we didn’t have a restaurant in mind.

So that was what I set myself to do tonight; organise the restaurant. A trivial task you would have thought, in a large, cosmopolitan city like London. Oh no.

I want it to be a special meal for my man. I’m sure I could book an Aberdeen Steak House in no time and be done with it, or even one of the many West-End chains, but I want to find a restaurant with a bit of character and good food that isn’t going to hurry us through the meal so they can get a second sitting in. It’s proving tricky.

I have found a few promising ones. Mon Plaisir sounded good, but already had a large group booked. Rules sounded good, but a bit too formal and a bit too pricey. Levant looked like it had a great feel about it – especially in the private area – but they couldn’t take us until 10:30, by which time I’d have given up and gone to McDonalds.

Tomorrow I think I’ll try calling L'Estaminet which sounds like good food at a leisurely pace, albeit with occasional hiccups with the service.

No comments: