Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Dinner at Lindsay House

Another very busy day at work; we are in the midst of a number of projects at the moment so, while everyone else seems to be on holiday and the Helpdesk is deathly quiet, I am feeling the absence of my network manager (off getting married!) and my boss (although Sid was back this afternoon) as I have a steady list of tasks requiring my attention. Fortunately I seem to be keeping on top of them and they are all jobs worth doing – in fact I proposed most of them – so I suppose I shouldn’t complain.

Brett called me later in the afternoon to talk about plans for Christmas and we agreed that we were running out of options and should go to Texas for Christmas and New Year, despite the hideous cost of flying in peak season. It will be nice to have a warm Christmas I think and from what I’ve seen of Brett’s family I expect it will be quite a festive time. I am pretty sure my parents weren’t expecting us in St. Helens for Christmas anyway, as I had previously mentioned we were likely to go to Texas. We will get to see them for the walking weekend in the Lakes in October and hopefully can persuade them to come and visit London at some point too.

Anyway, tonight after work, instead of going home and frittering the evening away, I had dinner lined up with Ping and John W at The Lindsay House in Soho. It was a lovely evening in an understated kind of way. The restaurant is a converted Soho townhouse so the dining areas are quite small and intimate. The service was attentive and friendly, although I think our table waiter may have been new to the job as he felt a little unpractised, but both the Maitre D’Hotel and the Sommelier knew their stuff.

The food came in fairly small, but ultimately sufficient, portions and each course was preceded by a mixed plate of Hors d'oeuveres. I had the special Clams concoction to start, followed by a truly melt-in-the-mouth selection of duck for my main course. For dessert, we all plumped for chocolate cannelloni with black cherries and shared a scoop of the chef’s speciality; horseradish and lemon ice cream (which was very pleasant and subtler than I expected, having had horseradish sauce in mind!) All of which was washed down by a delicious, but not overpowering, red wine and accompanied by the companionship of friends.

A lovely evening.

No comments: