Sunday, August 28, 2005

Geeks and Queens

We’ve had a fairly quiet day today. Not too long a lie-in this morning, then after pottering around the house for an hour or so, we headed off into town. I needed to call into work to do some tape shuffling and Brett needed to get the power supply for his PowerBook replaced, so had to go to the Apple shop on Regent Street. We had brunch at Balans in Soho on the way.

Both the food and the waitress were good – I think we rather lucked-out with the waitress as the rest of the staff seemed to be a gang of condescending queens – and Soho was quiet so the meal was quite relaxed.

Afterwards I got to watch tourists check their email on top-of-the-range Macs while Brett sorted his PSU. Kind of gutting really – all that fantastic kit; cameras, synthesisers, sound systems and everyone goes straight for Hotmail!

We detoured to Forbidden Planet on the way home where Brett found the third book in the Saga of the Exiles – a great Sci-Fi/Fantasy series I’ve had on my shelves since I was a student, but many years ago I lent the last two books to someone and never got them back. They are now out of print, so we were lucky to find the missing third volume today! (Jessica had previously found the concluding book some months ago.)

Spent the remaining afternoon and evening on the sofa being geeky.

No comments: