Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Weekend

Blimey, the weekend is nearly over! So what have I done? Well, not a lot really. Friday I made it back from Edinburgh in good time to do what I needed at work before coming home.

About half of the group who had originally said they would come for poker had cried off at some point during the week, so in the end it was just Brett and I, John M and Gaetan playing. I think that was too few to make it an interesting game as there was too little money on the table; no-one won big and everyone played cautiously. John M took the pot home in the end.

On Saturday, I was feeling quite rough and so slouched around all morning without achieving anything. I had a nap in the afternoon and didn’t wake up feeling any better so began to suspect my hangover might actually be the start of a cold. Felt well enough to head out for dinner and a movie though. We saw Charlie and The Chocolate Factory which I found very entertaining. I haven’t read the book in years, but from what I remember the movie is a very faithful adaptation. Even the backstory for Willy Wonka (which I think was added for the film) fit quite nicely. Johnny Depp was superb doing a somewhat dark, Wacko Jacko take on the reclusive chocolate magnate.

Today I was still feeling rough. We had a light brunch in the village before I went to pick up the car from the Long Stay car park at Heathrow and Brett went for a workout and to pick up his comics. This afternoon was mostly spent on the sofa watching assorted TV and napping. I spent a little while polishing my latest response to Charlie Foxtrot in our ongoing discussion (initial post and comments) about the war in Iraq. Rosie popped in early this evening with her mysterious friend Joe in tow, so it was nice to meet him even though the house was in a shambles as we hadn’t really cleared up all weekend.

Back to work tomorrow. Bleurgh.

No comments: