Sunday, August 21, 2005

Jeremy's BBQ

After yesterday’s busy day in the office, Brett and I had been invited to a barbeque at Jeremy F’s, one of our Chorus friends. For some reason I had come back from work absolutely exhausted. An hour’s nap before we left for the BBQ actually made matters worse so I was a bit of a shambling zombie as Brett steered me to Jeremy’s house near Clapham Common.

The exercise, plus the sugar and fluids in the Dr. Pepper I started gulping down on arrival, seemed to perk me up a bit and I had lovely evening. I already knew about half of the people there, they being mostly fellow choristers, but the only person I really got chatting to was Jeremy’s very engaging landlord, Peter. He has a very lovely house with lots of period (although stylistically eclectic) features.

John W & Rich C were there too and it was lovely to see Rich looking so well after his recent operations. Seeing him again suddenly reminded me (guiltily) of how busy I’ve been this last month or so. After we saw Rich in hospital in mid-July I had been determined to do some more visiting to break the monotony of recuperation, but all of a sudden it’s a month later, Rich is mostly recovered and I still haven’t been over to see him again.

The barbeque rated quite highly as these things go; there seemed to be just the right amount and variety of food on offer, all of which was well prepared/cooked and very tasty. There was also no shortage of drink - although I don't think we were drinking that heavily (unless Jeremy was being very fastidious in clearing away the empties!) The space was just right for the number of people he had invited too. Unfortunately though my fatigue caught up with me again around 11pm and we caught a taxi home which was hideously expensive, but a much appreciated luxury. I fell into bed and was asleep virtually as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Perversely, I was wide-awake at 05:45 this morning.

Perhaps recent days have built-up more stress than I’d realised.

Anyway, only really half a day’s work to do today and I have brunch with Brett and my sister lined up too, along with something cultural (although we’re not exactly sure what) this evening.

No comments: