Friday, August 12, 2005

Homeward Bound

So, despite all the assurances, another supplier’s supplier has let him/us down. No tape drive arrived this morning. To give them their due, though, they did offer to pay for a bike courier to get the drive to us today Alas, even coming from their most northerly warehouse, the bike wasn’t going to arrive before 4 or 5 o’clock this afternoon and I couldn’t wait that long.

So I was left to tell the, now thoroughly disgruntled, office staff that I was going to return home with their backup tapes and restore their data to London and push the most critical stuff up the wire to their server over the weekend. I really hate to think how much this debacle has cost the company in lost man-hours!

On top of that, yesterday’s disruption to BA flights had the knock-on effect that today most of BA’s staff and equipment were in the wrong location, so more flights (including my own) were cancelled. Hence, I’m sitting on a GNER train struggling to get any response out of their onboard “Mobile Office” WiFi network, which to be honest is complete crap; slower than dial-up and constantly failing to return pages.

At least I’ll be home in good time to see Brett and enjoy tonight’s poker game!

No comments: