Saturday, January 13, 2007

Crises and Pictures

According to one of my readers, all of the crises in my life revolve around servers. If I stop to think about it they are probably right, but I don’t believe that’s a bad thing; I’d rather have the crises at work than at home or in my social life. Servers can be fixed, data can (usually) be recovered so, although there is always stress and late-nights involved in a server crisis, in the grander scale of things they are quite bearable.

I mention this to save me having to give you all the gory details of my week. Suffice it to say that there was a crisis in Leeds that managed to conflict with me having a solid diary of working with a pair of consultants to construct a couple of new firewalls for our organisation.

I did manage to join Ping at the National Portrait Gallery on Thursday though and we spent an hour or so wandering around the fairly small gallery of the best entrants to an annual photography competition, discussing almost every photo. At the end we both picked out one that we would like to hang on our wall and I think I surprised myself as well as Ping at my own final choice; a colourful group of four people at last year’s Notting Hill Carnival. My choice would probably have been different if I had been choosing on different criteria, but that would have been the one I’d hang on my wall.

Friday I was quite exhausted but got through the day and even enjoyed a drink at a bar near the office to say farewell to one of the guys from finance who was leaving that day. It turns out that Rosie’s office was having a leaving do of their own in the same bar, so she was there with her colleagues and I was able to check out the guy she has her eye on.

I didn’t stay too long though, being both tired and hungry, and sloped off home after half an hour or so.

No comments: