Sunday, December 19, 2004

Contentment

Well the concert was a blast. I seem to say this about every major concert I’ve done with the Chorus, but each time we do better than the last one. We had a very short ‘tech’ rehearsal as we couldn’t get access to the venue until 1pm. For a group that’s normally so relaxed and chatty, throughout the time we spent sound-checking and blocking moves on stage – which is tedious work – the whole Chorus was incredibly focussed and professional-feeling. It felt good. The tech-run overran so we had a very short break between the rehearsal and our call for the show so it felt like virtually going from one into the next. No time to worry – but also no time to relax.

The show itself was formidable. Personally I felt I performed very well – all the small errors that I hadn’t seemed able to ditch in rehearsal I overcame on the night. There were some minor scrapes where things went wrong but no major wrecks and we got such an ovation at the end of the show!

After the show I was on my usual adrenaline-high. Even the beer didn’t dampen it for several hours. I did plenty of mingling with fellow chorus members and their friends and we all basked in the mutual congratulations and compliments and the warm glow of team-spirit when you know you’ve pulled it off with finesse. Even though it was raining outside as we finally made our way home I was humming Christmas tunes all the way.

Everyone was a bit peckish on the way home so we stopped en route from the station to home to pick up some fish and chips – possibly it’s my northern upbringing but there’s something wonderfully tasty and satisfying about well-battered fish and chip-shop chips drenched in salt and vinegar.

This morning I was still feeling good but I was also feeling lazy. We had said that we’d have brunch in Wimbledon Village but I had to be virtually forced out of bed. Once I was up though, I was hungry and soon saw the appeal of mushroom crêpes and a basket of French pastries at Café Rouge.

After brunch Rosie set off for Oxford to spend the day with a friend while Brett and I accompanied my parents into Central London to do some last minute shopping before catching the train home. Ping called as we were on our way and was at a loose-end, so he met us in town and ended up giving my parents a guided tour of Piccadilly, Chinatown and Soho which was all to the good as it meant I could just follow along without having to think or plan too much.

We started off at Fortnum and Mason’s store where my dad wanted to get some good chocolate liqueurs. Brett and I joined in the fun, picking up a box for ourselves as well as a fine Christmas pudding and a selection of chocolate biscuits. Then we wandered on past all the smart shops and into Chinatown where Ping treated us to egg-custard tarts before we went for Coffee in Soho. He got along famously with my parents and a good time was had by all.

Brett wanted to go home by the Comic Book shop in Putney so we took separate trains. I had a lovely moment as I walked along the platform to the front of the train for Wimbledon. An unusual moment of quiet fell as I reached the end of the platform. The sun was shining on me from a clear sky, I was carrying bags of fine food home for us to enjoy over Christmas and I felt very contented with my life. I think its important to enjoy moments like that – where you remember all the good things you have and remember that it hasn’t always been like that and for many people it still isn’t. I have the man I love, a fine home, a stable job and we’re looking forward to a cosy Christmas together eating and drinking lots of fine vittles. Life is good. Wassail!

No comments: