Saturday, June 04, 2005

Guys & Dolls

Blimey, it’s Saturday already. Thursday was kind of a non-day. I spent most of it in bed trying to find work I could do remotely. The leg actually seemed to get worse during the day until, by about 3pm, I could hardly walk without being in agony. I got an emergency Doctor’s appointment and taxied up the hill. The doc confirmed that it was an inflamed muscle and prescribed me some stronger painkillers. She also told me I should have been gently exercising the leg instead of staying in bed. Oh well.

On Friday the leg was a bit better and Brett was home so we drove down into town and had a wander around the shopping centre looking for t-shirts and shirts the Chorus show in July. My parents arrived mid-afternoon while I was napping off the effects of the morning’s walking and we lazed around for an hour or two until it was time to get ready for the show.

For his birthday, I’d bought Brett tickets for us to see the Guys & Dolls revival in the West End. It’s a good show. I worked it as a stagehand many years ago at the Theatre Royal in St Helens, although I could hardly remember the story, so it was a whole new experience for me. The only bit of the show that wasn’t excellent was Ewan McGregor singing ‘Luck Be A Lady Tonight.’ Somehow his voice just didn’t have the power to make the song a real showstopper, which is a shame because otherwise both his performance and the show in general were very, very good. Miss Adelaide, played by Jane Krakowski, best known for Ally McBeal, was superb. It really is worth going to see.

After the show we waited in line so Brett could get his programme signed by Ewan (who looked rather miserable) and Jane (who was more animated) before hopping in a taxi back to the station and then the train home.

This morning we’ve been lazy. I’ve walked the parents through getting photos off their mobile phones by Bluetooth and off their new digital camera by USB. Rosie came over for brunch and watched her friend on Little Brother and then we watched the second half of the latest Doctor Who story (the scary one!)

Off to Putney for lunch now.

No comments: