Wednesday, June 01, 2005

One of THOSE days

Did I mention that fate seems to have it in for me recently?

You may recall that, being the good little MicroSerf that I am, I spent my Bank Holiday patching all of our servers in accordance with Microsoft’s ‘Best Practice.’ Well, that came back and bit me on Tuesday when our Branch Offices couldn’t access email or the finance system. It took me nearly 36 hours to fix that – at least half of which time was wasted waiting on the Microsoft technical support guy to get back to me. When I finally lost my patience and chased him by phone his reply was: “Sorry, I haven’t had a chance to look at your call yet!” It turns out the problem was Microsoft’s fault in the first place (an ‘undocumented side-effect,’ don’t you know!) but I had to work that out for myself!

So anyway, I got that fixed this afternoon and felt pretty good about it. Then, somewhere between that and this evening’s Chorus rehearsal, I’ve managed to inflame a muscle in my leg. I am now hobbling around in agony and hoping a good night’s sleep will make it go away.

Before I can get that good night’s sleep though, I need to reboot a server in Leeds. Not a problem, you would think, given the wonders of the Internet and remote control technologies! But the bloody thing refuses to shut down and is now in an interim state where I can’t control it. Bugger!

I am definitely going to stay in bed tomorrow and tell the world where it can go!

No comments: