Saturday, June 25, 2005

Poker Night

So, after much palaver trying to get people together, last night we hosted a poker night at home. Most of the people I asked wanted to come but couldn’t make this particular Friday night and I couldn’t slot a night in anywhere else this month. In the end I had five people lined up, Brett and I, Rosie, Bruce and John M.

To cut a long story short, though, Rosie called off because she had a miserable cold, Bruce was about an hour and half late having been stuck in the hospital (he’s a student doctor) but once we got going it was actually a fairly fun game.

The subdued lighting, proper baize table and weighty poker chips make it feel that bit more serious. Neither Bruce nor John had played before but they picked it up quickly enough, although Bruce looked pretty spaced-out and bet rather recklessly.

I like to think that it was my improving skill at weighing the odds that put me in the lead, rather than the inexperience of the newer players… at least that’s what I’m telling myself. I know that the last couple of times I’ve played I’ve lost heavily and quickly. Maybe next time I’ll have a harder time, when my opponents have more experience.

Anyway, everyone agreed it had been a fun night. The game was over by about 10:30, with just the four of us playing, so I think that my initial idea of six players making a good table would be right and that’s what I’ll aim for next time.

On the whole a very enjoyable night.

No comments: