Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Jackson Verdict

Actually I did see some news today. Michael Jackson being found not guilty of any of the charges made against him was making headlines in every news media this morning.

I will admit to not being desperately well-versed in the case, but for what it’s worth, I think justice has triumphed: In a just court, there has to be evidence produced which puts each and every allegation beyond any reasonable doubt. No matter how clear it ‘appears,’ you should not be found guilty of a crime just because most people think you are. That would be lynch-mob justice.

From what I have picked up from occasional headlines during the trial, the prosecution’s case sounded badly researched and ill-prepared, almost as if the case had been rushed to trial. (Which is a situation which certainly bears investigating!) In the end, despite all the claims and revelations (and even admissions from Jackson himself about his behaviour) the prosecution failed to convince a jury that any law had been broken. ‘Not Guilty’ was the only option in that case. Any other choice would have undermined the fundamental rights on which we base our society.

Well there you go. Today I find myself pleased by a decision in an American courtroom and defending a very strange and, in my view, very troubled little man. My, what a day it has been!

No comments: