Sunday, June 26, 2005

Sing, sing a song

After a good Friday night, Saturday was pretty busy. The Chorus was singing in Leicester Square as part of some event called West End Live. There was a pre-show rehearsal in a very humid church hall in Soho but for the event itself the weather had cooled down comfortably. It was an open-air gig and it’s always difficult to judge your sound at those – you get no feedback; your sound just disappears off into the distance.

While we were changing, Martin K who is on leave from the Chorus, but was there to distribute flyers, commented that I’d lost weight since he saw me in Paris. I suspect he was probably just being polite, but it still gave me a good feeling that re-justified all that cycling to work.

After the show, we went on to a barbeque at friends’ near Raynes Park. It was a mix of Chorus and non-Chorus people and quite a fun crowd. John H was there to begin with and he reported that we had sounded reasonably good on stage that afternoon, although the sound system had been a mixed blessing. Later in the evening, after some alcohol had been consumed, I found myself singing in a quartet with David M, Brett and John G. Between us we represented all of the four voice-parts and did some rather good a cappella renditions of a lot of the Chorus’ core repertoire. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I held the tune as I am not a strong solo singer at all. I guess the music really is getting wired into my brain now! Practice makes perfect.

No comments: