Thursday, June 23, 2005

Sin City

Went to see Sin City tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wasn’t actually sure what to expect when the film started. I’d heard it was a good film. I’d heard it was done in black and white. I’d heard it was all filmed against a green screen. That was about it.

In the end it was a series of short stories, mostly quite involving, all fairly violent, done in a Chandleresque style and with a certain comic-book ‘fantastic’ feel to the action. I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Ping, my companion for the show, was less certain of what to make of it.

Quentin Tarantino was listed as a ‘Guest Director’ and there are a lot of touches to the film that will be familiar to Tarantino fans without it being as totally in-your-face as a full blown Tarantino movie. There is a colour motif running through the film though that I couldn’t quite work out. For a while I suspected it was highlighting the good guys and the bad guys but then they threw a third colour into the mix and I gave up trying to intellectualise it. Maybe all will become clear at a second showing as I know Brett wants to see it and I would like to see it again.

No comments: