Thursday, June 30, 2005

My Parents

I have a couple of fantastic parents.

I was reminded of that fact today after having lunch with a friend, during which we talked about his parents and what they have and haven’t done for him over the years. I came away from lunch feeling deeply sad that someone could feel so harshly about their parents. It just didn’t fit with my understanding of the concept of parents; it was totally alien and actually really disturbed me.

While I doubted it in the time before I came out as a gay man, my parents have never failed to support me. It isn’t a case of money or gifts, or being hip and expressive. It’s about them always being there for me. It’s about always having someone to turn to for advice or help. It’s knowing that I am loved and that my parents are proud of me.

I am rich in ways it is often too easy to forget.

No comments: