Saturday, April 23, 2005

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

Thought I might do a little flag-waving as it’s St. George’s Day

3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm

I have to say though, I’m not sure what else one is supposed to do in honour of England’s patron saint. Slaying a dragon is probably politically incorrect; now that hunting foxes, which are pretty common animals, is against the law, I imagine that killing a creature which, if it isn’t totally extinct should certainly be on the endangered species list, would be considered highly inappropriate.

I don’t have a particular urge to declare war on the French - they may go on strike a lot and can be a bit arsey at times, but they do make a damn fine breakfast. The Spanish Navy has never done me any harm either.

Perhaps I shall just hum the tune to Jerusalem, have a cup of tea while watching the cricket, and keep a stiff upper lip about the whole thing.

Rule Britannia and all that!

[Just in case you were wondering, it's Henry V, Act III, Scene I]

No comments: