Thursday, April 21, 2005

Tennis and Blogs

The highlight of work today was a tennis match. Gaetan, one of the Helpdesk team, had suggested to Jon, one of the software developers, that he was pretty good at tennis and that they ought to book a match at the local leisure centre. Jon had promptly gone off and done just that.

Nothing out of the ordinary there, you might think.

However Gaetan has acquired a bit of a reputation for being all mouth and no trousers… so for the last few days the one aim of the department has been to make sure he had no excuses for not playing and defending his claim of being “pretty good.” Rackets were arranged, balls bought and today I accompanied them both to the court and watched them play for a while. As it turned out Gaetan lost, but they were pretty evenly matched.

I used the opportunity to try a few shots with my new camera-phone. The only one that came out okay was the ‘before’ shot (here.) All of the ‘action’ shots were taken at maximum (digital!) zoom, so of course came out looking very pixelated.

The other incident of note was examining the laptop that had been run over (see here) by a car. Sure enough, it was still in working order, although the screen was detached from the base at one end. Other than that it worked fine (even the problematic USB ports were behaving themselves.) We asked for the details and were assured that, yes, the car had driven squarely across the bag and even left a tire print.

I have to say I was impressed: You can kill the screen on a laptop just by leaving your pen top on the keyboard when you close the lid and yet this one had survived the weight of a laden estate car rolling over it.

In Other News:
Rowan officially moved to London today and tonight I was supposed to be helping her unload and unpack. In the end it turned out that she had it all done before I got home, and wanted to go see her friend Claire who is flying back to the States tomorrow so I got the evening off. I spent it mostly googling for webloggers with whom I shared interests.

I’m considering attending a social event for London bloggers in May and thought I’d investigate my ‘community’ a bit. My totally unscientific research led me to shortlist the following that looked worth keeping an eye on: Stairs of Great Britain, twenty-something blog, Dominic Sayers, Naked Blog and More a Way Of Life - only a couple of whom fulfil the original criteria for the search, but hey, that's what the Internet is all about!

Right, I’m getting tired now and my mind is wandering too much. Blogger seems to be up and down a lot tonight, so I’ll post this now while I can and save enthusing about Curtis’ travel blog for tomorrow.

No comments: