Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Darlington

So here I am in Darlington.  It’s been a successful trip so far.  I avoided all the London rush-hour traffic by leaving at that hideously early hour.  The journey north was uneventful and completed in five hours.

The most interesting thing about it was some kind of incident going on in a residential section of the North Circular.  As I drove by there was one ambulance and half a dozen fire engines, plus a mobile control unit.  A few hundred yards later I was passed by three more engines heading in that direction.  There didn’t seem to be much activity where they were all parked up, but I know enough to say that something serious must have been afoot for them to pull in ten appliances at once.

I reached Darlington at about 10am, after a five hour drive, and spent the rest of the day doing what I could to get everything set up.  There were a couple of crucial pieces of the jigsaw missing because of delays by BT, but nothing I couldn’t work around.

I’m now back at the hotel, about to head out to dinner (well, Pizza Express) with the project team.  Don’t think I’ll be out too late, though; I need my beauty sleep today (see my photoblog for more on that subject!)

Received a lovely comment this morning from a guy called Bruce in Indiana whose blog I had commented on a few days ago.  More about that another time...

No comments: