Friday, April 08, 2005

First Interview

I’m still on the high, so I’ll blog about it now.

The interview went very well. It only lasted twenty minutes but in the end it was pretty much what I expected. Why did I want to be a Magistrate? How did I feel about judging people? What weaknesses did I have that might affect my decisions on the bench? What were my views on the police? There was only one question that stumped me initially: When I was asked how I thought the Magistracy should support the police I couldn’t think of an answer. It was only as I was slowly talking my way through the question that I realised it was a trick question. Magistrates swear to implement the law “without fear or favour, affection or ill-will” so of course the police don’t get any special support. Everyone should be treated equally by the court. Phew!

So when it was all over, the secretary to the committee handed me a couple of DVDs (one for me and one for my employer) and asked me when I could come back for the second interview. That caught me off-guard – I’d been expecting a letter in a few days – but I wasn’t going to complain and arranged a date.

Apparently the next stage will have me looking at a sample case and discussing it; which is something I think I feel more equipped to handle. I’ll also take a few mornings between now and then to sit in on Magistrates’ courts around London to get a feel for the atmospheres and the different kinds of business they do.

I feel good.

No comments: