Friday, April 01, 2005

Payback

The problem with holidays is that you can’t take time off without having to catch up afterwards. If they could really do without you for a week or two then the reality is that your job would have been made redundant years ago. I can’t decide whether that’s a modern thing or whether it’s always been like that. Somehow I suspect, though, that the Victorian pace of life was slower than ours. Either way, you come back from your week off, feeling all refreshed and full of energy and then get it knocked out of you by all the emails in your inbox and calls on your voicemail.

In my case I probably made it worse for myself by having a holiday just before the financial year-end (which is always a frenzied time) and just before releasing a major system. So anyway, you get the drift. I’ve had a lousy week at work. I picked up some kind of a cold midweek too and had blocked sinuses and now a nose that just won’t stop running.

Chorus stuff was just as bad as work. In fact I had more emails relating to Chorus than I had at work – but most of those were just automatic alerts about the new members joining the LGMC Yahoo Groups.

Anyway, it all seems to have settled down now so I’m planning a relaxing weekend to set me up for a good week next week.

Brett took this week off too, so our roles in the morning have been reversed: I’ve been saying goodbye to him while he’s still in bed, where normally he’s leaving early to catch the train to Aldershot while I’m still in bed. For the rest of the day he’s been reading comics and trying to integrate his PC with our TV.

So tonight – while he’s scrabbling around in the corner with SCART leads and S-Video cables – I’m going to do some preparation for my Magistrates interview next week.

No comments: