Saturday, April 23, 2005

A day with Bruce

Most of today was spent cycling with Bruce. (You can read more about the trip here at my PhotoBlog.) Bruce is my (now ex-) Brother-In-Law although I have known him longer than he has known my sister. We were at University together – well, he went up two years after me. He is now living in Tooting, studying medicine as a mature student and working casual shifts for the London Ambulance Service (to help keep him in the style to which he is accustomed.)

Bruce is an interesting character. Now that he’s back in London he seems to be all action. As well as studying medicine and moonlighting for the L.A.S. he’s also taken up Anglo-Saxon martial arts (that would be sword fighting to you and me.) We spent some time discussing how best to disable an opponent with a sword without killing them (which is usually easier and so, if you think about it, a far more efficient way to fight if you are wearing a huge weight of armour.) He showed me the longsword he’s buying.

He also keeps his eye on Sci-Fi fandom. One of the things he pointed out to me today was this spoof trailer for the new Star Wars Film. It is very well made and absolutely hilarious – although be warned: it is 38Mb in size, so only click the link if you have broadband installed and a few minutes to kill.

No comments: