Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Underwear abroad

Being gay isn’t always easy but it does have its good points. For example, even in a fairly liberal society, eyebrows would still be raised if a straight man frequently dressed in his partner’s clothing. As a gay man however, not only is it perfectly acceptable, it’s a positive perk! If you find yourself a partner of a similar height and build to yourself, you are effectively doubling your collective wardrobes. In a culture which so often judges you on how you look, you can see how this would be A Good Thing.

In our relationship, Brett has got the better deal. He is just a little bit too short for me to wear his clothes but my clothes, while somewhat long on him, can be made to serve. Of a weekend you can often see him lounging in one of my sweatshirts with the sleeves rolled up a little.

This morning I had a laundry crisis. Lots of clothes had been washed at the weekend so I knew that everything was clean on Monday. Yet by Wednesday morning I appeared to have run out of undershirts. The only candidates I could find were Brett’s (somewhat worn) t-shirts (which in any case are two narrow across the shoulders and rub constantly.) In the end, I eventually found one and dressing proceeded without further incident.

However, now that I’ve had a chance to check the laundry basket more carefully, and the piles of clothes I haven’t yet gotten around to putting away, and Brett’s drawers and wardrobes, and all the usual clothes-drying locations, I can now positively say that four of my undershirts are missing. Where can they be?

While I can speculate on their location, I cannot say for sure. Yet somehow I imagine that Brett will be spending his Saturday morning visiting Marks & Spencer and purchasing some of St. Michael’s finest. Whereupon I shall be writing initials on the labels with a laundry marker! Harrumph.

No comments: