Monday, April 11, 2005

I just wanna sing...

It was a rather quiet day at work today which was fortunate as we were understaffed. From a team of seven one is on holiday, one was working from home, one was on a course and one was off sick.

Monday night means a Chorus rehearsal though and tonight’s was good fun: We started work on a song for our July concert which is taken from Jerry Springer, The Opera. It’s called I Just Wanna Dance and contains such immortal lines as ‘I just wanna fuckin’ dance’ and ‘I don’t give a fuck no more, if people think that I’m a whore.’ Yet for all the profanity, I found the song beautiful and moving. It starts off in the tentative, almost plaintive, vein of someone dreaming of escaping their tedious life and progresses towards a proud, angry declaration at the end as the soloist comes out of their dancing ‘closet’. I really enjoyed it.

I felt very down during the second half of the rehearsal though. We had moved on to a different song and all of a sudden I felt Brett’s absence quite keenly. As I don’t have to be up too early tomorrow, I stayed for a drink after the rehearsal had ended and had a pleasant chat with Nick and John.

Nick isn’t a singing member, so I don’t get to see him that often, but he is standing for re-election and had come along to be questioned by the Chorus. Brett’s and my relations with John and Nick have been somewhat strained over the last few months because of the politicking that has gone on on the Steering Committee. So now that this committee’s term is coming to a close I’m hoping we can reconnect, as they are a good couple of guys.

No comments: